Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Heart of Portugal by Jason Ekk


My name is Jason Ekk and I am the North American Program Director of Friends of Portugal.  Here is a little bit about myself…
Many people have asked me throughout my life: “Where are you from?” Answering that question is harder than it seems.  I was born in Dinuba, CA (in the Central Valley for those of you that don’t know).  My family moved to Portugal when I was six.  I lived there until I moved back to California to attend Fresno Pacific University at age 18.  Currently I am living in San Diego finishing up law school with my beautiful wife of (almost) five years, Alicha, and two amazing kids (Ryan-2 and Ally-3 months). 
So, this question could be answered several ways… Dinuba? Fresno? Portugal? San Diego?
Growing up in Portugal, I never looked like I was from there.  Through my German/Mennonite roots I inherited, among many things: blonde hair, blue eyes and the inability to dance.  Portuguese generally have an olive complexion, brown or black hair and dark eyes.  Needless to say, I stuck out.  I remember random old people coming up to me as a little kid and tussling my hair.  Or another time when I was a teenager and a bunch of girls were talking about me in the back of a bus and didn’t realize that I spoke Portuguese.  The look on their faces when I turned around and starting talking to them in Portuguese was priceless.  I definitely looked like an outsider. 

But I felt at home.
A wise person (*cough* my dad *cough*) once said that there are three things at the heart of the Portuguese:  history (the “Discoveries” in particular), coffee (much of their culture takes place around cups of coffee at cafes), and soccer (the true “religion” of Portugal).   If that is true then maybe I am more Portuguese then I look….
I majored in history, love coffee and am an avid soccer fan.  I might not have been born in Portugal or look the part but I think a piece of my heart will always be a bit Portuguese. 
As the North American Program Director I am excited about the future and the work that is and will be done.  In the next few months I will be writing more about the three things mentioned above: history, coffee and soccer. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this!
    I know only God could have put Portugal on my heart as I am a Korean-born, American-raised kid! :)

    ReplyDelete